Yoga has been derived from the Sanskrit word Yuj, which means the union of ones soul with the universal spirit. Yoga is 5000 year old Indian form of body knowledge with its existence in some of the earliest veds and Indian literature like Rig-Veda. It dates back to the Indus-Saraswati civilization. Yoga also has been mentioned in Bhagavad Geeta and Mahabharata.
yoga is not just a form of physical exercise where you twist, turn or stretch your body in various complex ways, It is the emotional integration and spiritual elevation with a touch of the mystic element, which gives you a glimpse of something beyond all imagination.” As quoted by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
INDIA is known as the land of gurus and yogis. India has bestowed many blessings on the world, one such blessing is YOGA. Yoga therapy in India had been done since ages. Yoga is a form of exercise that has a number of variations. Yoga not only benefits mind body and soul but also acts as a prevention and cure for a number of diseases. There are various types of Yoga comprising of different asanas and breathing exercises for various kinds of diseases and ailments.
Some of the main types of Yoga and their benefits are as follows:
- ASHTANGA YOGA: it means eight-limb yoga comprising of moral codes, self-purification, posture, breath control, sense control, concentration, meditation and absorption into the universe. These eight methods are used to relieve your true self. Ashtanga yoga helps to strengthen your muscles, develop flexibility and improves blood circulation in the body. It helps in weight loss and releasing tension.
- HATHA YOGA: It is one of the oldest branches of yoga with its roots back to the ancient India. This form of yoga believes in the purification of Nadis(veins) through various postures (asana) and breathing exercises (Pranayam). Hatha yoga helps to correct the malfunctioning of glands, tones your spine, builds immunity and helps you to calm your body and de-stress your mind.
- IYENGAR YOGA : It is a form of Hatha yoga, this form of yoga uses different forms of belts, props and wooden gadgets to perform asanas correctly without straining any part of your body. This form of yoga aims to unite your mind body and soul.Hatha yoga helps to cure common ailments like high blood pressure, depression, back pain, neck pain, immunodeficiency etc. It also helps to improve your concentration and boost your stamina.
- KUNDALINI YOGA : This style of yoga basically focuses on releasing Kundalini energy ( prime energy at the base of spine). This form helps to regain your unknown energy with the help of various asanas and chanting some mantras. This Yoga form purifies your blood, releases toxins from your body, strengthens your nervous system and helps you to achieve balance between your mind body and soul.
- POWER YOGA: Power yoga is a modernized form of ashtanga yoga comprising of various intense forms of asanas designed differently by each teacher or instructor.
Power yoga basically aims to achieve weight loss by burning calories and fat.It also improves your muscle mass and boosts metabolism.
Yoga is been practiced in India since ancient times, India has some great gurus and practitioners who have great knowledge and wisdom of various yoga forms. Yoga, if practiced properly not only cures diseases but also prevents onset of new problems. Yoga treatment in India is performed by some of the best known practitioners in best institutions and centers.
India has some of the great institutes and centers to help you rejuvenate yourself through yoga therapy in India and achieve balance of mind body and soul and release all your tensions, stress and depression.
If you are looking for learning Yoga in India or Yoga treatment in India here is the list of Some of the great yoga centers in India
- Bihar School of Yoga, Munger, Bihar
- Purple Valley, Assagao, Goa
- Kaivalyadhama Ashram, Lonavala, Maharashtra
- Mysore Krishnamachar Yoga Shala, Mysore, Karnataka
- Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre, Dharamkot, Himachal Pradesh & Arambol, Goa
- Phool Chatti, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
- Mysore Mandala, Mysore, Karnataka
- Omkarananda Patanjali Yoga Kendra, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
- International Center for Yoga Education and Research, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu